The Writing 3.0 test measures how well your device performs when working with documents. The test reflects the simple tasks you might perform on a mobile device such as adding text and images to a document as well as cutting, copying and pasting text within the document. It then asses the performance while creating and visualizing PDF documents.
The test uses the native Android EditText view, native PdfDocument and PdfRenderer Android API to create and then visualize a PDF file, and javax Cipher to encrypt and decrypt the file created. Document 1 is a 2.5 MB ZIP file containing a 100 KB text file and two 1.2 MB images. Document 2 is a 3.5 MB ZIP containing a 90 KB text file, a 1.6 MB image, and a 1.9 MB image.
- Load, uncompress and display Document 1.
- Load, uncompress and display Document 2.
- Copy all of Document 1 and paste it into the middle of Document 2. The combined document has around 200,000 characters.
- Save Document 2 text and images to a ZIP file and compress. The file is about 6 MB.
- Insert a 1.3 MB image to the middle of Document 2.
- Save Document 2 text and images to a ZIP file and compress. The file is about 7.4 MB.
- Save the document as a PDF in the external storage.
- Encrypts the file with AES algorithm, CBC mode, PKCS#5 padding. Encryption key is generated with PBKDF2 variant with HmacSHA1.
- Decrypts the file with the same algorithm and key.
- Load the PDF file rendering the PDF pages on ImageViews inside a vertical-scrolling RecyclerView.
Writing3.0 score = 2,700,000 × geomean(1/R1, 1/R2, 1/R3, 1/R4, 1/R5, 1/R6) Where: R1 = The geometric mean of times measured to load Document 1 and Document 2. R2 = The sum of times measured for copying the text to the clipboard and pasting the text from the clipboard. R3 = The geometric mean of times measured to save Document 2 after the first copy paste operation and then in the last save in the end. R4 = The sum of times measured to add an image to the text. R5 = The geometric mean of the time to create the PDF document and to save it to a file with the time to load and render all the PDF pages. R6 = The geometric mean of the amount of time to encrypt and decrypt the file.